At Freedom a la Cart we are passionate about the survivors of human trafficking we serve, our customers, our volunteers, our business partners and our staff. Freedom a la Cart is an innovative, nonprofit social enterprise and workforce development program born to help survivors of human trafficking build a new life of freedom and self-sufficiency. What started as a single food cart is now a bustling catering company and café + bakery. We work hard, have fun and roll up our sleeves to empower survivors.
The Cafe Manager is responsible for assisting with the overall success of the Freedom a la Cart Cafe. The successful candidate will lead the front and back of the house Cafe team by coaching staff and leading by example. This means adhering to the organizational culture and guidelines, the Health Department’s regulations, and Freedom a la Cart’s standards and expectations for food quality, freshness, presentation and service. This position oversees the kitchen’s daily administrative, operational, and culinary tasks, including sanitation and safety. This position also motivates, trains, develops and directs the staff to accomplish the objectives of the operation to the satisfaction of the customers and Freedom a la Cart.
Overview of duties and responsibilities:
- Responsible for daily prep lists in preparation for daily and weekly operations.
- Ensures all recipes are being followed according to Freedom a la Cart standards.
- Ensures that high quality food items are creatively prepared and presented by using efficient techniques in a cost effective manner.
- Ensures all safety and sanitation guidelines are followed.
- Collaborates with the cafe team to ensure timely production of quality food.
- Interacts professionally with other employees, customers and suppliers.
- Using a trauma-informed approach to train, direct and supervise the daily conduct of the cafe staff including coaching of cafe staff on time and attendance policy.
- Supervises the adherence to proper uniform standards following the employee handbook and established guidelines.
- Helps F&B Director conduct and evaluate staff interviews, performance reviews, coaching sessions, and disciplinary actions and makes recommendations to the F&B Director for promotions or other changes in the status of staff.
- Oversees all F&B Director menus, programs, concepts, challenges and tasks with a focus on timely, efficient execution.
- Works with the F&B Director to make sure that labor goals are met.
- Oversee the daily appearance of the FOH
- Assists F&B Director with placing proper orders, sourcing the best local and seasonal foods, and following purchasing guidelines.
- Validates inventory/stock levels on an appropriate schedule.
- Prepares weekly employee schedules for cafe staff.
- Works with the F&B Director to ensure that food cost meets budgetary goals each week.
- Provides recommendations to the F&B Director on food safety compliance measures.
- Develops and revises station-specific daily and weekly cleaning checklists and oversees their accomplishment.
- Conducts weekly 9 at 9 meetings, and ensures that regular training is occurring.
- Confirms daily completion of closing duties for the cafe kitchen and dining room.
- Other duties as assigned
- We are looking for someone who has the passion, desire and ambition to grow and develop personally and professionally.
- Experience working in a fast-paced food and beverage environment.
- Experience working in both front and back-of-house operations.
- Adaptable people person with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate well with diverse audiences while holding staff accountable.
- Well-organized and self-directed.
- Servsafe Certified
- A team player with a strong work ethic and “can do” attitude.
- Ability to problem-solve, troubleshoot, anticipate needs and apply sound judgment in new or unusual situations.
- Effective time management skills and the ability to prioritize requests to meet deadlines.
- Flexible with the ever-ebbing and flowing needs of a growing company.
- Most importantly, love to have fun while creating a more inclusive and equitable world!
We offer a competitive salary, flexible work hours, and a supportive work environment that values your unique talents and contributions.
At Freedom a la Cart, we value diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and experiences to apply, including those who have experienced trafficking and exploitation themselves