Freedom a la Cart is a catering company with a higher purpose. Our goal is to serve delicious, beautiful, from-scratch cuisine to our customers while providing life-changing training and opportunities to survivors of human trafficking. #causecuisine
Starting as a food cart, Freedom a la Cart has grown into an innovative, nonprofit social enterprise and workforce development program born to help survivors of sex trafficking and exploitation build new lives of freedom and self sufficiency. Through offering supportive services, practical life skills, paid workforce training, one-on-one case management, and job coaching, Freedom is a place where survivors can heal, learn and grow as they prepare for sustainable employment opportunities in the community.
Freedom a la Cart offers a selection of fresh, from-scratch pastries, breakfast frittatas, sandwiches and wraps, hearty salads, specialty desserts and an assortment of hors d’oeuvres, prepared and delivered by survivors and support staff.
EXECUTIVE CHEF [Full-Time, salary with benefits]
The Executive Chef’s main job is to keep the operations running smoothly, and to foster an environment where survivors can heal, find purpose and gain practical work & culinary skills. The goal of the Executive Chef is to make sure the staff is taken care of and that the food is delicious and beautiful, in that order. Although we are currently only offering catering service, in 2020 we will be opening a Freedom a la Cart Cafe & Bakery, serving breakfast and lunch 6 days a week, as well as our normal catering operations, all out of a brand new brick and mortar complex.
Our next Executive Chef will be supported with 1:1 job training and mentorship by our Interim Executive Chef, BJ Lieberman, formerly of Michelin-Starred Rose’s Luxury and Little Pearl in Washington, DC, as well as Husk Restaurant in Charleston, SC.
Overview of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create a positive work environment that fosters teamwork, personal growth, confidence, and success.
- Hire and manage all kitchen staff
- Support, develop and coach kitchen employees in the preparation, cooking, and presentation of food
- Maintain a clean, organized and professional work environment
- Manage the food/labor/supplies budget in order to meet/exceed budgeted costs and maintain profitability for the social enterprise
- Determine production schedules and staff requirements necessary to ensure timely production & delivery of services
- Create and work closely with the Executive Director on a monthly budget for required supplies, food and labor
- Demonstrate new cooking techniques and equipment to staff
- Modify and/or create new menu items as needed
- Identify challenges and resolve them quickly and efficiently
- Work closely with Sales & Marketing Manager to strategically bring in new customers
- Be active as a point lead during preparation and opening of a new catering kitchen + cafe
- Leads by example with a “whatever it takes” attitude
Applicant must have:
- 5+ years of experience (preferred)
- Ability to be flexible with the ever ebbing and flowing needs of a growing company
- Most importantly, love to have fun while changing the world!
In keeping with Freedom a la Cart’s commitment to diversity, community engagement, and social justice, we seek candidates who cultivate an equitable workplace environment.
READY TO APPLY? We would LOVE to hear from you!! Send email to email@example.com with your resume and a cover letter/email stating why you’d like to work at Freedom a la Cart. Title the email subject: Executive Chef — [Your Name]
We believe that our clients, staff, board of directors and volunteers should reflect the diverse world in which we live, with attention to race, ethnicity, religious creed, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and ability. Freedom a la Cart is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity.