Freedom a la Cart is a catering company with a higher purpose. Our goal is to serve delicious, beautiful, from-scratch cuisine to our customers while providing life-changing training and opportunities to survivors of human trafficking. #causecuisine
Starting as a food cart, Freedom a la Cart has grown into an innovative, nonprofit social enterprise and workforce development program born to help survivors of sex trafficking and exploitation build new lives of freedom and self sufficiency. Through offering supportive services, practical life skills, paid workforce training, one-on-one case management, and job coaching, Freedom is a place where survivors can heal, learn and grow as they prepare for sustainable employment opportunities in the community.
Freedom a la Cart offers a selection of fresh, from-scratch pastries, breakfast frittatas, sandwiches and wraps, hearty salads, specialty desserts and an assortment of hors d’oeuvres, prepared and delivered by survivors and support staff.
EXECUTIVE CHEF [Full-Time, salary with benefits]
The Executive Chef’s main job is to keep the operations running smoothly, and to foster an environment where survivors can heal, find purpose and gain practical work & culinary skills. The goal of the Executive Chef is to make sure the staff is taken care of and that the food is delicious and beautiful, in that order. Although we are currently only offering catering service, in 2020 we will be opening a Freedom a la Cart Cafe & Bakery, serving breakfast and lunch 6 days a week, as well as our normal catering operations, all out of a brand new brick and mortar complex.
Our next Executive Chef will be supported with 1:1 job training and mentorship by our Interim Executive Chef, BJ Lieberman, formerly of Michelin-Starred Rose’s Luxury and Little Pearl in Washington, DC, as well as Husk Restaurant in Charleston, SC.
Overview of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create a positive work environment that fosters teamwork, personal growth, confidence, and success.
- Hire and manage all kitchen staff
- Support, develop and coach kitchen employees in the preparation, cooking, and presentation of food
- Maintain a clean, organized and professional work environment
- Manage the food/labor/supplies budget in order to meet/exceed budgeted costs and maintain profitability for the social enterprise
- Determine production schedules and staff requirements necessary to ensure timely production & delivery of services
- Create and work closely with the Executive Director on a monthly budget for required supplies, food and labor
- Demonstrate new cooking techniques and equipment to staff
- Modify and/or create new menu items as needed
- Identify challenges and resolve them quickly and efficiently
- Work closely with Sales & Marketing Manager to strategically bring in new customers
- Be active as a point lead during preparation and opening of a new catering kitchen + cafe
- Leads by example with a “whatever it takes” attitude
Applicant must have:
- 5+ years of experience (preferred)
- Ability to be flexible with the ever ebbing and flowing needs of a growing company
- Most importantly, love to have fun while changing the world!
READY TO APPLY? We would LOVE to hear from you!! Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and a cover letter/email stating why you’d like to work at Freedom a la Cart. Title the email subject: Executive Chef — [Your Name]
At Freedom a la Cart we are passionate about the human trafficking survivors we serve, our staff, our volunteers, and our interns. We work hard, have fun and roll up our sleeves to make the dreams of the #FreedomMovement happen. Raring to join us? We would LOVE that!
GENERAL INTERNSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES
- Strong work ethic and “can-do” attitude.
- A total team player with high level of self-motivation.
- Works well with others and has great written & verbal communication skills.
- Ability to problem-solve and anticipate needs.
- Flexible with the ever ebbing and flowing needs of a growing company.
- Has own reliable transportation, laptop computer and mobile GPS device.
- Available to be in the Freedom a la Cart office twice a week, for a minimum of 10 hrs total, with the flexibility to work from home as appropriate.
- Most importantly loves to have fun while changing the world!
COMMUNITY RELATIONS INTERN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reports directly to the Volunteer and Key Partners Manager
- Data management of volunteer information to ensure that all volunteers have filled out appropriate paperwork ie background check, waiver and interest form
- Assist with communication and transfer of data to new volunteer database
- Assist with registration, set up and communication material for mentor training, mentor gatherings and special events
- Assist with meal set-up/clean up at CATCH Court as available.
- Other duties as assigned and agreed upon
Applicants must be college students preferably receiving school credit for their internship with us and based in Columbus, Ohio. All internships are unpaid. Send qualifications to email@example.com
*Please respond with “Your Name – Community Relations Intern” in the subject line, resume, cover letter stating why you want to intern at Freedom a la Cart and three fun facts about yourself!
Freedom a la Cart is an equal opportunity employer.